Tuesday 28 April 2009

Report from the commute


This was going to be more of a ping to register I'm still commuting other than reporting anything significant. It's been pretty much uneventful over the last few weeks apart from the disruption of the roadworks at Bastwell and a couple of vehicles driving too close for comfort. Then, yesterday, a major (well to me anyway) incident happened and I was closest on the scene. As I came under the bridge on Plane Tree Street in Little Harwood, the roar and rattle of a truck approaching greeted me, but as I looked ahead, I could hardly believe my eyes. A 40ft tipper truck was heading down the road in the opposite direction to me with the tipper elevated. It clipped some telephone cables and I only had time to stop before it came to an almighty crunching halt when the top of the tipper struck the metal railway bridge. The cab was thrown up in the air and then came down again. Bystanders were all agog, many having tried to warn the driver of his error. Luckily the driver got out all right. I usually carry my camera but had left it at home as it was raining hard so I can't show you the scene.

Apart from that, the riding has been easy with fine weather and bright days. It has signalled the change from the winter gear to lighter wear for the warmer days. I've taken to going out on longer routes home to get some extra mileage in. Two or three times a week I've managed to add an extra 10 or more miles by doing a circular route down to Whalley and back. Over the weeks my average speed is increasing. The extra stamina makes longer rides at the weekend more enjoyable. This is leading up to a tour in the summer, which reminds me I've still some house-keeping in my 'to-do' corner of the blog - quite a few things I haven't followed up but still mean to - like more details of last year's tour experience and some review bits. Stay tuned and I'll try to find time to get those finished.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

No comments: